Friday, 12 October 2012

Quizzes and Tests and Codes

   After learning about the computer history and the DrRacket programming codes so far in this course, I have realized several of my short comings in terms of understanding the materials throughly. Before learning about the programmings in this course, I thought of programming as ideas came from extremely smart nerds which normal people cannot hope to comprehend. Then, as I started learning the DrRacket program in this class, it helped me fully comprehend that we just have to think logically and code in a structured way that computer can comprehend for a program to work.And after learning about it for 4 weeks, I started enjoy the new codes we learn every week and became better at it.This might just be one of the first university courses I find extremely useful in life.

  By programming with DrRacket, I sometimes encounter error messages like:

          read: expected a `)' to close `('possible cause: indentation 
                   suggests a missing `)' before line 16 
These error messages are extremely useful when I am programming on DrRacket. Just image that I made these mistakes every now and then, and no specific error messages were prompted. I probably would be wracking my brains for hours to found out how stupid I am for missing a single closing bracket.Thus, the prompting error messages incorporated is probably one of the best advantages of using DrRacket.

  One high-light of this course is weekly quizzes that tests our understandings of codes made from tutorial. It's not too stressful as long as I spend enough time to work on the codes at home before the next class. I believe these quizzes are a very good way to strength our programming foundations every week.

  Not too long ago(2 days ago actually), we had the first mid-term in this class. The materials tested reflected on what we have learnt so far. I believed I prepared throughly before the actual midterm. However, sometimes reality is much worse than you can image. I was totally stuck on the last program that on the midterm. The question is basically asking examinees to complete what's stated on the check-expect code, provide comments and provide the new functions needed to complete the entire program. And this was definitely not what I expected, I did not solve or seen a question as of this form in the tutorials or the lectures. I believe I have fully understood all the codes, but the last question pretty much gave the entire solution within the check-expect, all I did was change around and put it into the function. However, the sheer easiness of this question (or maybe how I thought of the solution for this question) made me doubting whether I am doing it right or wrong. Now I just hope to get a solution for this question to confirm what's suppose to be done for the question.

  Hopefully, I will understand the question on the exam and make improvement as I progress throughout the course. I believe I will become more confident about the coming term tests as I get a handle on different programming materials.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, my hope was that you could imitate the check-expect in order to complete the function.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Prof. Danny Heap. However, I thought imitating the check-expect function is MUCH too easy for a question that's worth 20 marks. Though that's what I did in the end anyway >.<

    ReplyDelete